Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner

So on Thanksgiving day I was browsing my twitter and my friend had posted a tweet that said:

Fun fact: You have to run more than a marathon's distance to work off the avg. amount of calories eaten at Thanksgiving dinner. Enjoy!

I thought this was a crazy fact so I did some research on my own. I found this website that had a list of thanksgiving food and amounts and you could go through and check what you ate for thanksgiving dinner. Then at the end it would take what you checked and calculate how many calories you consumed and how far you would have to walk and how many steps it would take to burn it all off. It has specific portion sizes so it is only a rough estimate but it still gives you an idea. I decided to do my own meal and it came out like this:

that comes to 2790 calories. You will need to walk 27.9 miles, 45 kilometers, or 55800 steps, assuming you cover one mile in 2,000 steps!

THATS CRAZY! First off I know that I probably consumed more than that because I did eat larger portions than they provided. I dont think I even want to know what I actually consumed! I think I will be getting my butt to the gym daily for a while now to work off all of that food!

Here is the link below if you would like to try yours:

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm

1 comment:

  1. That is crazy! I think it's cool that you decided to do some research on your own after reading that. I tried to avoid some of the foods on thanksgiving but I don't think I did very weel. I never thought of how much it would take to work off one holiday worth of food! I think I will be seeing you around the gym!

    ReplyDelete